Day 2 Apple Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup oatmeal (I prefer steel cut)
- 1 apple diced
- 1 peach diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp homemade caramel *
- vanilla extract
- 1 handful almonds (or as much as you want, it’s a garnish after all)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
* I’m starting to realize that since I make homemade almost everything, a lot of these recipes will be recipes within recipes. In this case, until I can make a post about it, here’s an amazing recipe for Homemade caramel. It’s so bad for you but it tastes so good so that’s why we use it sparingly in this recipe.
- Follow directions on your oatmeal container to get the best results, but don’t forget to salt the water before putting the oatmeal in. The salt only acts as a compliment to the sweet flavours we’ll be adding later For example, I use whole grain steel cut oats which take a little longer to cook because the grain is a little coarser so it takes about 30 minutes of simmering to get my oats to the consistency I like.
- In a separate sauce pan mix 1/2 cup milk, the diced apple bits, vanilla extract, and spices. Set heat on medium-high and let boil. Put a lid on the saucepan to cook down apples for 3-5 minutes. It all depends on how soft or chewy you want your apples.
- Turn heat off saucepan and stir in peaches.
- Crush almonds by placing them in a zip lock baggy and finding the heaviest object to smash the bag with. Voila! Instant crushed almonds and stressor reliever all-in-one.
- Take oatmeal off heat and plate it.
- Spoon apple peach mixture on top.
- Garnish with a sprinkling (or a heaping handful in my case. I love almonds too much!) of almonds.
- And enjoy!
Enjoy! And let me know how this recipe goes for you if you try it out.
Peace : )