Bear with me guys. For the next couple of days I will be going Fall crazy. So that means I will be talking about Fall, Autumn, crispy brown and golden leaves, sweater weather, pumpkin everything, Halloween, and many more fall related paraphernalia, none stop. I really hope you guys enjoy Fall as much as I do! It is the perfect wardrobe weather where you can layer up on the clothes without having to cover your styles with a stuffy winter coat and you can find the perfect pile of leaf to take a running dive into and just relive your childhood. For some reason, this season brings out the inner kid in me and I have no problem letting her out.
So to celebrate the season and much thanks to Cupcakes and Cashmere for the idea, here is my bucket list for this fall:
2. Go to a Haunted House, preferably The Haunted Hoochie. Can’t wait!
3. See Hotel Transylvania in theaters
4. Two words: Pumpkin Picking!!!
5. Throw a pumpkin carving party
6. Find the perfect Afro for my cat so that he can be his namesake for Halloween (Smokey Robinson)
7. Go to a major city-Chicago or Atlanta- for Halloween
8. Trick or Treating: preferably as part of a community service project. Don’t want to be that creepy 20-somethin’ yr old who just can’t give up the tradition right ; )
9. Have at least 2 editorial photo shoots. It’s too beautiful out not to take advantage of the weather.
10. Host a Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner
11. And lastly, get a job so that I can afford all of the above, lol ; )
What are some of the items on your Fall Bucket List?
This morning’s breakfast was inspired by Dark Chef’s Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich, except it’s the healthier slimmer, vegetarian cousin. But this sandwich is hearty, filling, and very rich and it was exactly what I needed after an intense Insanity workout.
- 2 Tbsp. homemade guacamole*
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 medium white button mushroom, raw and sliced
- 1/4 cup raw spinach
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
*Homemade guacamole is as easy as mashing up an avocado, sprinkling in some salt, pepper, and lime to taste and mixing in diced tomatoes and onions. It’s easy. simple, healthy, and delicious!
- Make 2 Eggs in a Blanket but without the sriracha
- slice tomatoes and mushrooms and wash spinach
- spread mustard onto the bread then add guacamole
- pile on the veggies and sprinkle feta on top
- and enjoy your meal : )
So, I always try to style my food to make it look the prettiest it possibly can be-i.e. I wipe crumbs off the plate, position the food exactly how I want it to look, and overall style it to my liking but this sandwich was calling my name when I slopped it together post-photo shoot. So I wanted to give y’all a taste of what the sandwich looks like in its un-styled glory. It’s still beautiful and mouth-watering aye! I can’t wait to tear into this beauty!
Hope y’all enjoy! : )
- 1 cup oatmeal (I prefer steel cut)
- 1 apple diced
- 1 peach diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp homemade caramel *
- vanilla extract
- 1 handful almonds (or as much as you want, it’s a garnish after all)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
* I’m starting to realize that since I make homemade almost everything, a lot of these recipes will be recipes within recipes. In this case, until I can make a post about it, here’s an amazing recipe for Homemade caramel. It’s so bad for you but it tastes so good so that’s why we use it sparingly in this recipe.
- Follow directions on your oatmeal container to get the best results, but don’t forget to salt the water before putting the oatmeal in. The salt only acts as a compliment to the sweet flavours we’ll be adding later For example, I use whole grain steel cut oats which take a little longer to cook because the grain is a little coarser so it takes about 30 minutes of simmering to get my oats to the consistency I like.
- In a separate sauce pan mix 1/2 cup milk, the diced apple bits, vanilla extract, and spices. Set heat on medium-high and let boil. Put a lid on the saucepan to cook down apples for 3-5 minutes. It all depends on how soft or chewy you want your apples.
- Turn heat off saucepan and stir in peaches.
- Crush almonds by placing them in a zip lock baggy and finding the heaviest object to smash the bag with. Voila! Instant crushed almonds and stressor reliever all-in-one.
- Take oatmeal off heat and plate it.
- Spoon apple peach mixture on top.
- Garnish with a sprinkling (or a heaping handful in my case. I love almonds too much!) of almonds.
- And enjoy!
Enjoy! And let me know how this recipe goes for you if you try it out.
Peace : )
This was actually yesterday’s breakfast, but I’m playing a little catch up right now.
- homemade Greek yogurt *
- pomegranate **
* I’ll make a post about how to make this later but for now, here’s a really great source for how to do it. It’s surprisingly simple-just a little time consuming. One major tip though, instead of heating the milk on the stove, just put it in a microwave safe bowl and nuke it for around 17-20 minutes until it gets to the right temp. It’s much easier and hands-free this way.
** Do you know how pesky it is to deseed pomegranates? Well now you don’t because here’s a ridiculously easy way to deseed them. Plus it’s ridiculously fun to do!
Wait for it, wait for it….. It’s a really technical and very complicated procedure. You pour all of your ingredients into a bowl and shazam! You’ve got breakfast. I like to assemble mine in a wine glass-makes me feel elegant and sophisticated somehow.
I’m such a glutton for food porn! But hope y’all enjoy. Let me know how it goes if you try this at home. I especially want to hear about your home yogurt making adventures. I promise you, once you start you’ll never go back to store-bought yogurt. Homemade is cheaper and much better tasting!
Peace : )